The weather is continuing to get chilly and all I want is warm, comforting food. This time around I was really craving a lemon butter sauce. While the traditional way to make this kind of sauce often involves using real butter, heavy cream, cheese and possibly flour, I had to figure out a dairy, gluten free alternative. This recipe turned out to be a hit!
At first I was hesitant to use full fat coconut milk but it was just the right amount -enough to make it creamier without the dish tasting of coconut. As for the butter… who doesn’t love butter?! I prefer ghee (clarified butter) as it is dairy free and has quite a few health benefits. I often use arrowroot starch to help thicken certain sauces, and it is gluten free so that’s no worry.
Anywho, that’s enough chatting, lets get to the cooking!
- 2 packages of chicken thighs (trim as much of the fat off)
- 1 tsp. ghee
- 1 tbsp. paprika
- salt and pepper
- another 1 tsp. ghee
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1.5 cups chicken broth
- juice from 1 lemon
- ¼ cup full fat coconut milk
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- 3 handfuls spinach
- Set the oven to 365 F
- Rinse and pat dry the chicken thighs, trim off excess fat.
- Season the chicken with 1 tbsp. paprika, salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tsp. of ghee in a oven safe heavy pan
- Sear the chicken on both sides until slightly brown, remove, put on a plate and set aside.
- Heat another 1tsp. ghee in the same pan and sautee the minced garlic
- Then add the chicken broth, lemon juice, full fat coconut milk and thyme in with the garlicy ghee – lightly whisk
- Bring to a simmer.
- Add in the arrowroot starch and whisk until mixed through. It should thicken slightly.
- Next add the spinach.
- Nestle the chicken thighs into the sauce.
- It is ready to go into the oven to continue to cook. Cook in oven for about 30min.
Goes nicely on top of some wild rice or quinoa and roasted broccoli 🙂